Ticket #429 (closed defect: fixed)

Opened 12 years ago

Last modified 12 years ago

gdm-config should set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list

Reported by: broder Owned by: rbasch
Priority: normal Milestone: Karmic Deploy (Canceled)
Component: -- Keywords: karmic
Cc: Fixed in version:
Upstream bug:

Description

This will, predictably, disable the user list that comes up and shows the recently logged in users.

Some brief notes from #369, which has some discussion relevant to this ticket:

I'm still trying to figure out how best to config-package-deverize the Gconf configuration necessary for setting disable_user_list. Options include transforming /var/lib/gdm/.gconf.path to add another source, or transforming /var/lib/gdm/.gconf.defaults directly. Of course, since /var/lib/gdm isn't world-readable, either mechanism is going to require a debathena-gdm-hack (a la cupsys-hack), which will suck.

Change History

comment:1 Changed 12 years ago by rbasch

/var/lib/gdm/.gconf.path includes /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system as a readonly source, so we could set it there via a postinst script.

comment:2 Changed 12 years ago by broder

I really would much rather find a way to do the gconf config using config-package-dev instead of doing things in the postinst. Unlike with cluster-login-config, it's important that gdm-config uninstall itself cleanly.

comment:3 Changed 12 years ago by rbasch

  • Owner set to rbasch
  • Status changed from new to accepted

Another option is to install a /usr/share/gconf/defaults/NN-debathena-gdm-config file with the appropriate setting and run update-gconf-defaults in the postinst/postrm. This should allow the package to uninstall cleanly. It looks like dh_gconf makes this simple, taking care of the postinst/postrm steps; I'll do this along with the other gdm-config changes I am working on.

comment:4 Changed 12 years ago by rbasch

  • Status changed from accepted to proposed

I added the gconf defaults file in r24207 (1.18), now in -proposed.

comment:5 Changed 12 years ago by geofft

  • Status changed from proposed to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

I've moved the most recent gdm-config to production, which presumably includes this.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.